SEFTON RUGBY UNION FOOTBALL CLUB
CONDENSED HISTORY 1907 - 2018
Order this book using the Online Form
In 1907 a group of Liverpool schoolmasters decided to form a new Rugby club. At the inaugural meeting it was discovered that, of all those present, not one was Liverpool born. Some wag suggested that the club should be called "The Aliens," and the name was adopted. For the first few years the membership was restricted to the teaching profession.
After playing the entire first season as an away fixture their first ground in 1908-09 was the old Clubmoor Cricket Club. The following season the restriction on membership was removed and the club moved to a larger ground in Townsend Lane, where it remained until the outbreak of the 1914-18 War.
The Great War claimed the lives of at least sixteen members but the Aliens accumulated an astonishing array of honours:-
- two Commander of the British Empire(CBE),
- a Order of St Michael and St George(CMG),
- a Distinguished Service Order(DSO),
- four OBE's,
- two MBE's,
- three Military Cross and bar,
- five Military Cross,
- one Distinguished Flying Cross(DFC),
- one Air Force Cross(AFC),
- one Distinguished Conduct Medal(DCM),
- one Military Medal(MM) and bar,
- four Military Medals,
- two Meritorious Service Medals(MSM),
- a King George Medal for Courage and a Polish Gold Cross of Merit
See Aliens Profiles
In 1919 several of the old playing members decided to reform the club and although only eight were available fixtures were arranged for 1919-20 season. Proposals to change the club name to ‛Tuebrook’ and ‛Mersey’ were rejected and on August 31st in 1920 a motion was passed to rename the club "Sefton", after their first landlord Lord Sefton. The membership grew rapidly and after one or two more moves the club secured a ground in Meadow Lane, West Derby, with changing facilities in the Hare and Hounds Hotel. By 1928 a substantial ground fund had been built up and with the grand efforts of W.B.Croxford, a few extra loans from the Rugby Union and the Lancashire County Rugby Union, the present ground was purchased.
Once again the club was progressing steadily but the outbreak of war in 1939 caused the suspension of activities and the ground was requisitioned by the Royal Artillery as a heavy anti-aircraft gun-site.
After the war ended Croxford observed that restoration of the first team pitch "was going to be a rare job for somebody" as it was dotted with gun pits, concrete ramps, humps and bumps and all semblance of hedges and fences had vanished. He also noted that squatters had moved into the Army huts but considered they were probably beneficial as their presence was preventing further damage which had occurred after the troops had moved out. Enough space was secured for one playing pitch and a number of pre-war players worked hard to make it fit for play in the 1946-47 season.
After prolonged negotiations with the War Department, work on restoring the ground and pavilion was started in September 1948, and on the 13th December 1952 the ground was re-opened in its entirety by Councillor Hedley Williams. A game against Davenport RUFC (now Stockport) marked the occasion. The club facilities in this period were possibly better than most Merseyside Rugby Football Clubs, but very modest by today's standards.
Throughout the fifties and sixties the club regularly fielded up to seven sides each week, with regular fixtures against Orrell, Leigh, Widnes, Winnington Park and West Park. Many of these clubs are now playing in much higher leagues, however history they say does repeat itself (well maybe!)
In the 1983-84 season at the former Liverpool R.U.F.C's ground at Aigburth, Sefton won the 'Liverpool Cup' in a hard fought match against Merseyside Police, winning 26 points to 3. The competition unfortunately has gone out of existence.
Sefton Junior and Mini section were formed in 2004 and named the “Gunners” after the WW2 occupation of the ground by the Military. They now field eleven sides from Under 7 to Senior Colts and such is their success at winning competitions and cups Sefton now need a trophy cabinet the same size as the clubhouse !
In 2007 the club celebrated 100 years.
Read more about our forbears Click Here